Saving the environment is equal to saving lives, this is because the main source of food for human beings, animals and plant is the environment. Many Ugandans are complaining about the harsh conditions resulting from the changes in the environment but are not even aware that human action is the cause. We need to individually play our part in conserving the environment if we are to reduce the current trend of things.
Human activities such as industrialization, mining, oil extraction, land excavation, wetland reclamation, deforestation, poor waste disposal etc. are posing danger and destruction to the environment as well as keeping human lives at risk, because they influence the development of invasive species, outbreaks of extreme conditions such as droughts, flooding, epidemics, high temperatures etc.
I would like to call upon everyone to participate in improving the quality of our environment. Become aware of the key destroyers of the environment most especially those within your reach; for example how do you dispose of your waste? On daily basis please consider the consequences of your actions on the environment ahead of your personal desires. Do something to save Mother Nature and also encourage your friends and families, you could start with;
- Grow more trees in your surrounding
- Do not waste energy at home or at office. Switch off electric devices when not in use
- Consider using energy saving bulbs
- Use water sparingly, turn off the tap after use.
- Dispose off waste in garbage bins, do not litter waste on the streets or in drainage channels.
- Limit the use of chemicals in your garden.
Remember saving the environment is everyone’s responsibility, Do your part.